Google’s newest voice-activated smart display, the Google Nest Hub Max, will be released on September 9th, 2019. It features a larger display than its predecessor (Google Nest Hub), a built-in Nest Cam, enhanced audio, and a few other unique features. It will retail for $229, which is the same price as its chief competing device, the Amazon Echo Show 2.
In this article, we answer the questions, “What is Google Nest Hub Max?” and “What can it do?”. We also cover its new features, price details, release information, and technical specifications.
What is Google Nest Hub Max?
Google Nest Hub Max is a voice-activated device that allows you to get answers from Google, stream music, listen to the news, play podcasts, control home automation devices, and a whole lot more. It’s powered by the Google Assistant, a digital personal assistant software developed by Google. This system allows the Nest Hub Max to understand natural language, permitting you to operate the device using conversational voice commands.
Unlike Google’s original smart device, the Google Home, the Nest Hub Max possesses a touch screen. This allows you to control the device with its display in addition to controlling it with your voice.
In case you were wondering, the “Google Home” label has been re-branded to “Google Nest”. Google’s original smart device lineup included the Google Home, Google Home Max, and Google Home Mini. The current line of products includes the Google Nest Hub, Google Nest Hub Max, and Google Nest Mini.
Google Nest Hub Max: What can it do?
With the Nest Hub Max, you are able to:
- Play video or audio clips of the latest news, sports, and weather.
- Stream music, podcasts, movies, live TV, and YouTube videos.
- Control connected devices such as lights, power plugs, thermostats, and more.
- Use its camera as a Nest Cam security camera.
- Make local phone calls or Google Duo based video calls
- Use interactive apps or play interactive games.
- Create and manage alarms, timers, reminders, calendar entries, and lists.
- Display your digital photo albums.
- Get answers from Google such as web searches, local business searches, Google Map searches, and more.
Check out this link to see a huge list of things you can do with the Google Nest Hub Max.
Google Nest Hub Max: New Features
The Nest Hub Max possess these new features over its predecessor, the Nest Hub:
- Larger Display: Nest Hub Max has a 10″ HD display while the Nest Hub has a 7″ display.
- Built-in Nest Cam: Not only did Google include a camera in the Nest Hub Max (the Nest Hub doesn’t have a camera), Google included a Nest Cam camera. This allows you to use the Nest Hub Max as a security camera.
- Face Match: The Nest Hub Max can be set up for facial identification. Once set up, Nest Hub Max will be able to provide personalized notifications, messages, commute information, and reminders for each person that uses the device. It can store up to six user profiles.
- Auto Framing: The new Auto Framing feature allows the Nest Hub Mas to digitally zoom in & out on and track individuals as they move around during a video call.
- Gestures Controls: Nest Hub Max allows you to raise your hand in order to pause or resume playback of music or video. This is the first Google smart device to have this functionality.
- Enhanced Audio: Nest Hub Max features better speakers than the Nest Hub. We haven’t tested them yet but we anticipate that the music will sound much better with its 10W tweeters and 30W woofer.
- Smart Hub Functionality: Nest Hub Max can be used as a hub to connect to and operate some smart home devices with the need for an additional hub.
How much does Google Nest Hub Max cost?
The Nest Hub Max will cost $229 (£219, AU$349) at launch. This matches the regular price of Amazon’s 10 inch Smart Display, the Amazon Echo Show 2.
While we love the Echo Show 2, we believe the Nest Hub Max will be our top pick for the best smart display. We prefer Google smart devices mostly due to the fact that they are powered by Google, the best search platform in the world.
Image source: Google
Google Nest Hub Max: Release Date
The Google Nest Hub Max release date is September 9th, 2019. This is the date that is currently displayed in the Google Store (as of August 31st, 2019).
The release date was briefly displayed on its Google Store product page back in July 2019. The date was removed from the site. Later on, a Google representative confirmed with CNET that the date was real.
As soon as the device is available for order, we will purchase at least two of them. We’ll be giving one of them away on our Google Home Facebook Group. Check back later for giveaway details.
Google Nest Hub Max: Specs
Below are the technical specifications for the Google Nest Hub Max:
- 10 inch HD touch screen display
- 1280×800 resolution
- 6.5MP sensor with 127-degree field of view
- Auto-framing capability
- Face Match technology
- Quick Gestures
Speakers and Microphone:
- Stereo speaker system (2x 18mm 10W tweeters, 1x 75mm 30W woofer)
- Far-field microphones
- Voice Match technology
- Ultrasound sensing
Chalk (White) and Charcoal (Gray)
- 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5GHz) Wi-Fi (802.15.4 at 2.4GHz thread support)
- Bluetooth® 5.0
- Chromecast built-in
Operation Systems Supported:
Android and iOS
Dimensions and Weight:
- Depth: 3.99 in (101.23 mm)
- Width: 9.85 in (250.1 mm)
- Height: 7.19 in (182.55 mm)
- Power cable: 1.5 m
- Weight: 2.91 lb (1.32 kg)
30W power adapter
What’s Included in the Box:
- Google Nest Hub Max
- Power adapter
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety & warranty booklet